Walking Groups within the Ramblers lead walks all across the UK. The details of each of these walks are published on the Ramblers walks finder. Walks Finder allows you to find walks that you may wish to join.
This web site lets you view the Meeting places and Starting places that the above walks have used in the past. Many of these Locations (meeting and starting) may be useful for you when planning a new walk. This facility allows you to view these locations.
PLEASE note that while Ramblers Groups have used these locations it DOES NOT mean that they are suitable for your use.
By using this facility you are agreeing that you will check the suitability of locations before you use them.
- You can select which location you wish to display based on how often and when they were used. See the scoring system below.
- Lesser rated locations may not be suitable or in the wrong position.
- You can search for a UK feature/location, from Open Street Map, using the top right search field, please note that grid references and postcodes are not recognised.
- You can change the type of map displayed by using the top right button.
- In the bottom left are displayed:
- The current scale
- The latitude/longitude and OS Grid Reference of the current mouse position
- When the scale bar shows a distance of 1km or less then the current OS Grid Reference is displayed as a coloured square (100m square).
- You can zoom in and out using the controls on the top left. Double clicking on the map will zoom in.
- The map displays the OS 100km grid squares. These appear distorted due to the map projection used by Google and Open Street Map.
- You can display the 10 or 20 nearest Postcodes to any location by zooming in and then right click the location.
- The location of each place is identified by the use of an Ordnance Survey Grid Reference.
- The OS Grid References used are to 6 figures, this gives a square of 100 metres by 100 metres.
- The map display will show clusters of locations around the UK.
- Hover mouse over a cluster to see its bounds and click a cluster to zoom to those bounds.
- Click on a marker to see its OS Grid Reference. A list of descriptions and "when used" will be displayed.
- If the location / OS Grid Reference is wrong then you can report this.
- To add a new place, lead a Ramblers walk from there and get it listed on Walks Finder.
How locations are scored
Each location is given a number of stars between zero and five depending on how often and when they have been used
For each use of the location it gets 1 star if this is within the last year
Usage that is before this counts less by 20% for each year.
- Within one year 100%
- Within two years 80%
- Within three year 60%
- Within four year 40%
- Within five year 20%
So a location used 10 times in year five would also get 5 stars
Open Street Map
Not found what you are looking for?
Other sources of parking information
These are external sites and not associated with the Ramblers.